Friday 14 March 2014

Steve Jobs


When I listen to Bob Dylans music Im amazed by how natural his songs sound. Perfect, amazing songs, yet so apparent this is the way the song should sound.  I think Bob Dylan is the most amazing songwriter there is, but in all honestly I think that writing songs wasn't that difficult for Dylan. Like those songs already existed but the just needed to come out of his head.
I just finished Steve Jobs Biography (Jobs was a huge Dylan fan).  Reading his book made me realize that a lot of the amazing Apple features that I use every day are so natural and intuitive that they have always seemed to be there. But they weren't, some one invented them. The desktop icons, the iTunes playlist, the iPad swiping. The zooming in and out. The non-existing on/off button. (or it is there, you just never use it). Jobs wanted his machines to be as natural as possible. And he achieved this by using his intuition. No teacher (and only one manager) ever told the importance of intuitive decision making. Going through life your taught to work hard, learn, think loads. But trusting on your instinct is rarely emphasized upon. While, for me, the best decisions I made where the intuitive ones.So I was inspired by Jobs. This man was not hippie or a new age guru, this man was one of the most important business men in the world.
Other things I learned from this book: he was a bit of an asshole, he dated Joan Baez (singer and Dylans ex) and Jennifer Egan. She is an american writer and wrote 'A visit from the Goon squat'. It happened to be the book that I read right before Jobs biography. Loved it. My favorite chapter was the second last in which the sister of an autist explains to her dad how the brain of her brother works. Brilliant. And the book breaths music. A very modern novel, speedy, modern life problems: anxiety, too many decisions in life, I don't want to grow up-problems, pills, drugs. That sort of book. Probably written on an Apple given to Egan by Steve Jobs.
Loved both books, one I enjoyed, the other one excited me. And Mr Jobs; thank you for my beautiful machine. It really brings out the best in me. I have some skills and talents myself, but your hardware gives me the ability to make what I see in my head. And on top of that, most importantly of all; you gave me an Apple Z button. Where would I be without the Apple Z button?

No comments:

Post a Comment