Thursday 17 January 2013

The Poisonwood Bible


'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver (De Gifhoutenbijbel) is one of my all time favorite books. Years ago, I was traveling in Nicaragua, I read this book. In short: It is the story about a family from Georgia (US) that moves to Kongo (now Zaire) to spread the word of God amongst the poor souls of dark africa. But it is also is a story about colonialism, white supremacy, faith and feminism. Told from the perspective of the five women in the story: The mother and her four daughters. I found my aunt a copy in the secondhand-store. But I just had to read again, before giving it away. Blown away again. All over again. For the same reasons, and many new reasons. Im almost done, 60 pages or so to go. I'm always a little sad after finishing a Barbara Kingsolver. A little like saying goodbye to a dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment